INDEPENDENT WATER REGULATOR
BACKGROUND Owing to failures in the regulatory function of the Department of Water and Sanitation, OUTA and WSSA are collaborating in advocating for regulator in the water sector that is independent from the Department.
WHY IS OUTA CHALLENGING IT
The establishment of an independent water regulator will:
• Permanently address the Department’s failures in regulating South Africa’s water sector;
• Ensure no political interference in how water is regulated in South Africa; and
• Unlock and facilitate investment in South Africa’s water sector so as to ensure sustainable economic and socio-economic development.
WHAT IS OUTA DOING ABOUT IT
• Advocating for an independent water regulator
• OUTA and WSSA will be engaging all interested and affected stakeholders on the subject so as to gather and consolidate inputs.